I got these from a post by Lee Sigelman, over at The Monkey Cage. These were my favorites from his longer post. Ah, graduate school!
You just might be a graduate student if…
- you are startled to meet people who neither need nor want to read.
- you have ever brought a scholarly article to a bar.
- you rate coffee shops by the availability of outlets for your laptop.
- everything reminds you of something in your discipline.
- you have ever discussed academic matters at a sporting event.
- you look forward to summers because you’re more productive without the distraction of classes.
- you consider all papers to be works in progress.
- professors don’t really care when you turn in work anymore.
- you find the bibliographies of books more interesting than the actual text.
- you have given up trying to keep your books organized and are now just trying to keep them all in the same general area.
- you have accepted guilt as an inherent feature of relaxation.
- you find yourself explaining to children that you are in “20th grade.”
- you start refering to stories like “Snow White et al.”
- you look forward to taking some time off to do laundry.